Fig and blue cheese sliders
Makes 4 Sliders
- 4 burger buns of your choice but smaller then a regular bun were making sliders today
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fig jam (I like Trader Joe's) also called fig butter
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 1 handful arugula
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place buns on a baking sheet, and toast in oven for about 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix with your hands. (NOTE: Any time you handle raw meat, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching anything else.) Form beef into two patties.
- In a small pan begin to caramelize sliced onions. Add a teaspoon or so of olive oil, a touch of sugar and salt. Cook onions on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and softened. Set aside.
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt butter or oil in skillet, and carefully place patties in pan. Always lay meat away from you to avoid splattering hot oil on yourself. Let patties cook for about 2 to 3 minutes before flipping (cooking time will depend on how thick your patties are). Once flipped, place blue cheese on each patty to warm and soften cheese. Cook second side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Assemble! Spread fig jam on the bottom bun. Place patty on top of fig jam. Top patty with caramelized onions and arugula. Top arugula with top bun and enjoy!
*If your outdoor grilling which I prefer cook the parties the same time on stove top as you would on gas or charcoal grill.