- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (5 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups portobello or white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups madeira wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves smashed and finely chopped fresh garlic
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish
- Put the chicken between two pieces of saran wrap and lightly flatten using a rolling pin, heavy pot or flat mallet (don’t use a spiked side).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter and teaspoon of olive oil in your cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side, until slightly browned and just cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, add in 2 more tablespoons of butter and add the mushrooms and shallots.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes before stirring, add garlic cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and shallots from pan and put with the chicken on another plate.
- Add in the Madeira wine and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- While sauce is reducing sautée your asparagus for 3-5 minutes in another pan until just tender or microwave on a plate in a single layer with a wet paper towel on top for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, top with mushrooms and shallots.
- Cook an additional 1-2 minutes taste to season, cover the chicken with the Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.
- Throw cast iron skillet into oven and broil few minutes until cheese is melted, light brown and bubbly. Top with parsley and serve over mashed potatoes with side of asparagus. Bon appétit!